– Arcade, Londres/UK (solo show, Nov 28-Dec 22 2018)
– Kunstverein Dortmund, Dortmund/DE (Sept 21-Nov 18 2018)
– BE-PART, Waregem/BE (Sept 1-Nov 4, 2018)
– 13th Baltic Triennial, Curator : Vincent Honoré, Vilnius – Tallinn – Riga, Baltic states (group show, May 11-Nov 18 2018)
– FRAC Champagne-Ardenne, Reims/FR (group show, June 1-Dec 16 2018)
Born in Toulouse in 1969, Caroline Achaintre lives and works in London. Her work encompasses a diverse range of media including textiles, ceramics, woodcuts and watercolours, using techniques typically associated with the applied arts.
Her sculptures, hand-tufted wool wall-hangings, drawings and paintings are colourful and potent, evoking the subversive spirit of European carnival and creating an atmosphere that is simultaneously playful and absurd. Citing German Expressionism, post-war British sculpture and Primitivism as influences, her work also makes reference to more contemporary sub-cultural strands of sci-fi, the Goth-metal scene, psychedelia and horror films. (source: BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art).
Selected solo shows: Caroline Achaintre, FRAC Champagne-Ardenne, Reims, 2017 ; Caroline Achaintre, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead, 2016 ; Caroline Achaintre, Tate Britain, London, 2015. Selected collections: Frac Aquitaine, Bordeaux, Frac Champagne-Ardenne, Tate Britain, Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris.
In France, Caroline Achaintre is represented by Art : Concept gallery in Paris.