– I Can’t Tell You Because I Can’t Tell You, 601Artspace, New York/US (group show, Sep 16 – 12 Nov 2017)
– «Ins Zentrum – Radbilder und Räderwerke», Museum Bruder Klaus Sachseln/CH (group show, Apr 09 – Nov 01 2017)
– On Half a Tank of Gas, Kunsthaus Glarus et Swiss Institute, (dispersés dans un village), New Glarus, Wisconsin/US (group show, Oct 13 – Oct 15 2017)
– Transhumance, Centre international d’art et du paysage, avec le CNAP, Ile de Vassivière/FR (group show, Jun 25 – Nov 05 2017)
– 4ème édition, Triennale d’art contemporain Valais/Walis , Relais autoroutier du Saint Bernard, Martigny/CH (group show, Aug 26 – Oct 22 2017)
– The Transported Man, Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum Michigan State University/US (group show, Apr 29 – Oct 22 2017)
Roman Signer was born in 1938 in Appenzel Switzerland. He lives and works in Saint Gallen, Switzerland. His work is present, among others, by the following institutions: Museum Of Old And New Art (MONA), Tasmania; Musée National d’Art Moderne, Paris; FNAC, Paris-La défense; FRAC Ile-de-France, Paris; Museum für Moderne Kunst (MMK), Frankfurt/Main; Kunstmuseum St.Gallen, St. Gallen; Kunsthaus Zug, Zug; Kunsthaus Zürich, Zurich; MOCA Grand Avenue, Los Angeles. Exhibitions : High Line Channel 22, ‘Kayak’, New York (2013) Kunsthalle Mainz, ‘Attila Csörgo und Roman Signer’, Mainz, Germany (2012) Art:Concept, Paris (2011) Four rooms, one artist, Swiss Institute, New York (2010) Secession, Vienna (1999) Swiss Pavilion, 48th Venice Biennale (1999)
Since the mid-seventies, Roman Signer has showed and re-enacted paradoxes. The mini-shows and non-happenings generated by his sculptures, installations and performances and documented by his videos and photographs form a permanent questioning on the economy of entertainment. With a light approach, his work tackles modern concerns such as efficiency, performance or productivity as well as our deeply rooted obsession with functionalism. Renowned for his « Actions », Signer has often been defined as a pyrotechnical artist or given the lable of « explosion-artist », but he refuses to be circumscribed by the abundant literature and many remarks circulating on his work. The body of work that he has created is in itself extremely versatile, encompassing various discipline such as happening, sculpture, drawing, installation, photography and video. Regardless of the chosen medium, the creative process often reveals, by means of a structured suspension in time, what is scarcely or vey seldom visible. Signer’s skills are all turned towards the reproduction of a magic moment, almost ritualized by his work: the moment when slight transformation of shape and matter are possible. Signer combines the simplicity of everyday gestures and materials to the complexity of technical devices and physical phenomena, activated without the necessity of keeping them under total control. Signer’s presence is sometimes triggering and off-camera, while sometimes he turns into a real stuntman: the Sisyphus-like boulder pushing character of his own work.