– Vol au vent, Frac Normandie Caen, Trouville-sur-mer/FR (group show, May 25 – July 15 2018)
– Richard Monnier, Oh cet écho Perspectives surréalistes, Villa Beatrix Enea, Anglet/FR (group show, March 10 – June 09 2018)
– Le musée des amours, Dilecta Collection, Paris/Fr (solo show, March 08 – March 31 2018)
– Marabout, collection Frac Normandie Caen, Gouvix, Épron et Douvres-la-Délivrande/FR (group show, Feb 5 – April 20 2018)
– White Blood Blue Night, CAC La Traverse, Alfortville/FR (group show, Jan 18 jan – March 03 2018)
– La Tempete Acte II, Centre Regional d’Art Contemporain d’Occitanie, Sète/FR (group show, March 24 – May 21 2018)
Martine Aballéa (New York, 1950) is a Franco-American artist who lives and works in Paris. Her work has been shown, among others, by the following institutions: Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, NY; Musée National d’Art Moderne de la ville de Paris; Centre Pompidou Beaubourg, Paris; FNAC, Paris; FRAC Basse Normandie; Bibliothèque National de Paris, Cabinet des Estampes. Solo exhibitions: My Secret Life of Crimes, Art : Concept (2013), La Maison sans fin, CRAC Languedoc (2012), Musée de l’Abbaye Sainte Croix, Les Sables d’Olonne (2010), Fun House at the Centre National de la Photographie, Paris (2002), Hôtel Passager, ARC, Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris (1999).
Being someone else is Martine Aballéa’s secret pleasure, a weapon that allows her to reshuffle the cards of joy, loneliness or sorrow. Such is the ultimate purpose of her game: To play tricks on the disenchantment and on the depression of life before it annihilates her, cheating on reality before it betrays her. The idea of being someone else, to be able to break the rules of the game without consequences, is often found in Martine Aballéa’s work. During the 1980s she began working on fiction texts, such as the Romans Partiels series in 1982, Epaves du désir in 1995 and the Nouveaux amours / Nouveaux crimes series in 1997. Aballéa’s fiction often shelters characters that want to break free from something or someone on a social or on an affective level. In all these works she carefully develops the narrative link and tells us her very mysterious stories.